Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Two-Week Mark


It's now the end of my 2nd week here in South Florida, and I'm not too much closer to being "settled in", really. But I've had a 3rd interview (yesterday) for the job with South Florida Urban Ministries, and I think there's just one more stage left, which will be to head up to Pompano Beach (the location of the program I'd be coordinating) to meet with some of the other programs that SFLUM partners with in that area, including Rocketown, an awesome-sounding music program founded by Michael W. Smith. That should be done by early next week, and then, hopefully, I get the official offer. I did, however, learn what the salary would be, which alleviated my concerns of it not being sufficient to cover the higher living costs in this area. I'm more and more interested in the position with every step, so it's worth it to be patient as I work through the process. I think it's really a great organization with leaders who are passionate about serving underprivileged communities, and I'm excited to start on a new adventure.

Definitely getting a bit more familiar with the highway system down here, and I can go some places without exact directions now! And though it's fun to have the "talking lady" to keep me company on my drive, I've only used the GPS 2 times - one of which it directed me toward the local roads instead of the expressway and made me late for my meeting!



But, as you can see from this picture, you're never really too far from home - though it was pretty surprising to see cows grazing, surrounded by palm trees, across the street from a shopping mall and movie theater.

Not much else to report, so just going to adding some more pics, most of which I've taken while driving around - as many of you know, I always have my camera in my purse so I don't miss any awesome photo opportunities! Some are cool cloud pics, as I seem to been enamored with cloud formations this year - I just keep seeing so many awesome-looking skies!




























Another is a fancy-looking Publix, one of the main grocery store chains down here.








Also a pic of downtown Hollywood (between Miami & Ft. Lauderdale), one of a yacht docked along Las Olas Blvd. in Ft. Lauderdale (Las Olas is a pretty popular street, so I've been told),



















and a pic of my favorite tree down here - hint: it's not a palm tree!




3 comments:

  1. Oh, how I miss my home! Publix is my favorite grocery store...and I know what you mean about cows in random places. Right by where I grew up there were cows grazing right across from a...you guessed it: mall and movie theatre! Boynton Beach. If you're looking for new friends, I know LOTS of people down there! :) And I'll for sure be visiting you since I make it down there more often than anywhere else. You're making me miss FL! P.S....FAU...look across the street from the university...Alexander D. Henderson University School...my school growing up!

    Oh, one day I'll be back! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look forward to your visits! We can make up for my not being in CR while you're there by hanging out in Miami when you come down. I saw on your facebook page that your hometown is Boynton Beach, and now that I'm a bit more familiar with the area, I know that it's right here in South Florida! :-)

    I would love to meet people down here - I'm trying to get involved with the couch-surfing scene, but I haven't come across any events to attend yet that I had someone to go with me to. So anyone you know that you think I'd get along with would be awesome to be put in touch with!

    Have a BLAST in CR!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, the patient is virtue:-) I know that I should have more patient with my students...but I have been lately less and less patient for anything since my ear has been plugged. My blood pressure is getter higher each time the office, some translators refugees and I are miscomunicated. Well, enough my complaining... Good lucks for your job hunting^^v

    ReplyDelete