Tuesday, July 07, 2009

I'm a Miamian!


I arrived to Miami on Wednesday, July 1st, so I'm officially a resident of South Florida, though my driver's license doesn't show it yet...figured I'd wait until I actually have my own address to change that. :-)














Had a 2nd interview yesterday with South Florida Urban Ministries for a Site Coordinator position with their Branches after-school/mentoring program. Really like the program and the founder, with whom I interviewed, so crossing my fingers for that. If it works out, I'd be working (and hopefully living!) up in Pompano Beach, which is just a bit north of Ft. Lauderdale. Though I kind of had my heart set on living in central Miami, I've gotta' go where the job is, right?

Visited Florida Atlantic University (FAU) today to get information on their graduate programs, and I'm looking at both their non-profit management and public administration programs. Though the deadline for fall enrollment passed on the 1st, I'm hoping to just take 1 class in the fall and enroll in the program officially for the spring semester. Have a couple other schools I want to check out, but it's great to know that I have a few options just in a small area.

Though I haven't done too much exploring yet - just a bit of driving around, saw the movie "My Sister's Keeper", and caught a few fireworks while trying to reach the beach by Ft. Lauderdale on the 4th (traffic meant I didn't get to really see them and was instead stuck in the car for 2.5 hours...) - I've already been told that I've entered into "a new culture" here in South Florida. A guy walking behind me on the jet ramp while boarding the plane in Minneapolis told me I was in for "a real culture shock" in moving to Miami from Wisconsin. I guess time will tell how different it really is!

I hope everyone had a fun 4th of July, filled with LOTS of fireworks!!! Keep in touch, and I will be working hard to do the same this adventure around!


No comments:

Post a Comment